5 Culinary Tools That Make Great Gifts
Filed Under: Lifestyle | Posted: 12/11/2012 at 8:58AM
Comments | Region: United States
According to Gallup, consumers plan to spend an average of $770 this holiday season on gifts. As people scramble to find the perfect gift for everyone from the teacher to their close family members, many are not sure what to get. Those who are looking for gifts for the home or for people that like to work their way around the kitchen, there are plenty of good culinary tools that make ideal gifts.
“Culinary tools are the type of gift many don’t think of, but they make a great pick,” says Ryan Fichter, Executive Chef at both the Bodega Spanish Tapas & Lounge and Thunder Burger & Bar. “Most people will use their culinary tools for a couple of years, so you will be giving them something that lasts and is practical.”
Here are 5 culinary tools that make great gifts:
1. Chef knives. Most people would get a lot of use out of a quality set of chef knives, but they don’t want to spend the money on it for themselves. Get the best set that you can for your budget, making sure that there is a good chopping knife, which is what people use most often.
2. Cutting boards. Wooden cutting boards always make nice gifts. They can be used for years and come in various shapes and sizes. Many people today opt for the bamboo variety, because they are more environmentally friendly. Purchasing a set that has various sizes is ideal.
3. Wine openers. For the person who likes wine, a nice wine opener can make a great gift. There are a variety of them to choose from, including electric, winged, pump, lever pull, and traditional. Take a look at the wide variety and select one that fits your recipients’ style.
4. Steel pans. For those who want to give a gift that lasts, opt for a set of All-Clad steel pans. They are high quality, durable, and the craftsmanship is such that it is used by professional chefs. A set of these pans, or even a few select ones, will make a lasting gift that will be used on a frequent basis.
5. Immersion blender. Anyone who likes to make soups, gravies, smoothies, or other dishes that need to be blended up would love to have an immersion blender. They are easy to use, store nicely in a drawer, and fit most budgets, making them a great culinary tool to give.
“Culinary tools make great gifts because they are a gift that keeps giving,” adds Fichter. “A good culinary tool makes cooking easier, more enjoyable, and will last for years to come.”
Bodega Spanish Tapas & Lounge offers a variety of traditional Spanish dishes, including several varieties of paella, cold and hot tapas, and dishes featuring squid, shark, octopus, cuttlefish, scallops, monkfish, quail, lamb and more. Bodega, located at 3116 M St. NW, offers a happy hour, a weekend brunch and patio seating during nice weather, and serves lunch and dinner daily. For more information on Bodega, visit www.bodegadc.com.
In addition to serving 15 different burger options, Thunder Burger’s menu features such dishes as salads, appetizers, sandwiches, steak, fish and chips, crab cakes, ribs, salmon, and more. Thunder Burger & Bar is located at 3056 M. St., NW in Washington D.C. Information and reservations can be obtained online at www.thunderburger.com.